Are Christians bored with God?

Much has been written about the wave which has swept through the church, of a craving for well orchestrated, talent led, aesthetically pleasing worship? Some denounce it, others question it, many have tried to explain and then justify it. The fact that it has begun to creep quietly into the heartland of the reformed community begs the question ‘what lies at the root of it all?’ It’s something I have thought about throughout my ministry. The conclusion I have reached is that in essence this is an issue of ‘boredom’, boredom with God.

There are a number of factors which feed into boredom in general.  Many, because of a gluttony for self-indulgence, have developed an insatiable hunger for instant gratification.   Inevitably boredom threshold’s have been driven down. Getting what you want when you want it, always results in an increasing frequency in boredom pangs.

But what is this Christian boredom with God?  A boredom which I see as lying at the root of the ever increasing thirst for ‘humanly gratifying worship’.  What is it’s parentage? Is it a phenomenon borne of the fact that too many Christians have become laissez-faire about God’s call upon their lives?  Is it a child of ease.  Has the idea of cross bearing self-denial simply become a step too far for many ‘followers’ of Jesus, because of  their casual associations with the world? Has the Christian life become so comfortable, that the thought of mourning sin, let alone putting specific sins to death, never crosses the mind? The question has to be asked, how can we expect to be enthralled by the Living Holy God if we are constantly seeking to subjugate His sanctifying work in our lives? Does the glorious and hugely exciting truth that we were predestined before the foundation of the world to be conformed to the image of His Son, just quietly pass us by amid the busyness of life?

Surely if we were to train ourselves to take what we have been taught and to stand obediently in God’s presence, the basis for much of this boredom would be driven out by God’s astonishing works of grace in our lives.  Can it possibly be the case that a life lived, abiding in the Son, by imbibing the Word of Father, through the illuminating work of the Holy Spirit, is insufficient for our hearts and minds? Certainly not!

Whatever you do in 2015 brother or sister, take great care not to become bored with God, it’s a lonely road to nowhere, no matter what way you seek to travel it.

1. Tim December 31, 2014 at 12:28 am #

Another important question is: How do you interpret and deal with a scenario where you are experiencing this boredom on the Sabbath, while at the same time experiencing vitality in your personal devotional time, such that you can’t live without this time with God and are finding new and exciting truths from God’s Word as you meditate on it (almost) each day?

• Andrew Quigley December 31, 2014 at 4:46 am #

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your question. I obviously comment, not knowing your personal circumstances, but what I would say in general is this.

Our worship of God on the Sabbath, which is impacted by our worship of Him during the week, is a personal experience enjoyed in a corporate context. That takes us into the realm of fellowship with those with whom we worship. Herein lies another issue, for whilst I fear that many Christians have become bored with God, is it also not the case that an untold number of us can’t really be bothered with each other. Yes we have our ‘friends’, but as to living and breathing the Lord’s command to ‘love one another’, are we gloriously succeeding? As I see it, (and as I say I’m not making a personal inference on your life) how much we meaningfully interact with each other, also has a huge bearing on our enjoyment of the Sabbath day.

In Christ
      Andrew

• Tim January 2, 2015 at 5:10 pm #

So the unity, or lack thereof, in a local expression of the Body of Christ is likely to impact how one experiences the public worship. Thanks, Pastor Quigley. That makes sense.

2. Jared December 31, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Thanks Andrew. This is very helpful, in many ways.

A while back, my wife made a passing comment that “boredom is a great sin.” I think it was in reference to a common comment by one of our children. But over time, and for the reasons you mention above, I find that I cannot disagree with her. To be bored in worship is to be bored with a never-boring God. To be bored in life is to purposefully neglect the gifts He’s given, especially of Himself.

3. James December 31, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Thanks Pastor Andrew for your insight. When you say there is a craving for well orchestrated, talent led, aesthetically pleasing worship how do you specifically see that manifested in worship today? Also, when you referenced the (heartland) of the reformed community, was there a particular geographic area you have discerned this to be occuring or was heartland a figure of speech? Thanks and God bless.

4. kristy mapp January 1, 2015 at 9:03 pm #

Great and timely post.. and Jared.. you hit the nail on (my) head. Though I have often thought this toward my child I have not given the same look at my own walk. I often wonder why I feel so aloof from God, though I study and feel like my time alone with Him is greater than the time I get in church, but the reason is now exposed. Thank you all for your posts and comments.
    Kristy