Pray For Your Denominational Meetings
It is the synod and assembly season in the reformed world. Many of our NAPARC sister denominations are meeting or just have met. These are important meetings that impact the church in many ways. It is important that you pray for your denominations meeting. Here are five ways you can pray for your synod or assembly’s meeting.
- Pray for the leadership of your Synod. I serve as the Principal Clerk of our Synod, there is much that goes into the planning and running of a meeting by the many officers and staff of each denomination. Pray for these people as they help make the meetings run smoothly and effectively.
- Pray for the protection of our meetings. Pray that the Lord will shelter us from the attacks of satan. Satan is always seeking to divide the church. The work of our synods and assemblies give opportunity for disagreements and divisions. Pray that our delegates will all hold the call to unity before us as we do our work. Pray that our meetings will be free from protests and attacks from the world because of our stands on social issues like abortion and sexual ethics.
- Pray for the Work of your church. It is truly amazing the scope of work that each body does in a short time each year (or three years for some). We deal with issues related to administration, questions about social issues, working though theological issues, Christians Education, and much more. The decisions that are made impact the church in significant ways. Pray that good and helpful decisions will be made.
- Pray especially for situations related to church discipline. One of the most difficult subjects that our highest courts deal with is appeals related to church discipline. These cases can be complex and contain a tremendous amount of information. Pray that we will do our best to love each other and seek the truth and best for all involved. Pray that we will come to the truth and make the right decisions.
- Pray that our highest courts will do all things for the glory of God and the good of the church. This is no place for egos or personal agendas. Pray the delegates will hold before them the glory of God and the good of the church. That these will be the principles that drive the work and decisions.
There are many who groan at the thought of going to another synod or assembly, but remember these are not just business meetings. These meetings are part of the church’s work. They are part of our fellowship. They are also a marvelous opportunity to show the world the unity that comes in Christ, even when we do not agree on issues, we are still one in Him. May the unbelieving world see our unity and believe in Jesus.
“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. - (John 17:20–21)